Canada allows unpaid and paid representatives to represent you. However, only authorized representatives such as immigration consultants and lawyers can represent you in Canadian immigration or citizenship matters for compensation. If the person representing your case is not authorized by either the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council or a Canadian law society, he or she cannot collect compensation for representing you.